ACTIVITY ITINERARY AND DESCRIPTION:
Day 1: CUSCO – KM104 – AGUAS CALIENTES
We will pick you up from your hotel and take you to the Ollantaytambo train station. There, we will board the Expedition train, we will travel for about 1 hour and 30 minutes until Km 104. After passing the control, we will begin our trek walking along the Vilcanota River. Along the way, we will see the archeological site of Chachabamba, a stone altar -site that was used to worship the sun and the mountains, still revered by local people. On the hike, we may also see some larger mammals such as Viscachas (rabbit-like Chinchillas) and Spectacled Bears (if we are very lucky). After walking 3 hours, the road descends through an amazing forest. Here you will find a beautiful waterfall en route to the ruins of Winaywayna, where we will spend some time to take in the beauty of this place.
After a full day of trekking, we’ll arrive to the Sun Gate (Inti Punku) in the late afternoon and get our first view of Machu Picchu on the mountain below. It’s a perfect place to take nice pictures of the ruins surrounded by impressive mountain peaks, deep valleys, and the Urubamba River. From Inti Punku we will descend 30 minutes to the citadel and we will rest and take pictures. Finally, we will take the bus to Aguas Calientes(2,030 meters), where we will spend the night and have the opportunity to visit the hot springs.
DAY 2: MACHU PICCHU!
After early breakfast at your hotel, you will take a bus with our guide to the ruins of Machu Picchu, which only takes 30 minutes and departs every 10 minutes. If you would prefer to hike along the Inca trail up to Machu Picchu, which takes about 1 hour and 20 minutes, just let your guide know so that he can show you the trailhead.
In Machu Picchu, you will meet your group and have a 2-hour guided tour. Then you will have extra time to explore the ruins by yourself. You could climb Huayna Picchu (ticket must be purchased ahead of time), or you can go to the most famous spot of Machu Picchu: the sun gate, which is about an hour climb. We encourage all the travelers to make the most of their time in this place. Then you can take the bus to return to Aguas Calientes, or hike back down the Inca steps.
The usual departure time is in the afternoon, first with the train to Ollantaytambo, then by bus to your hotel in Cusco.
- Briefing at your Hotel or Office in Cusco 1 day before departure
- Pick up from your Hotel
- Private transport to Ollantaytambo Train Station, approx. 2 hrs
- Expedition Train to Km 104
- Permits and fees for the 2 Days Inca Trail
- Entrance fee for Machu Picchu
- English-speaking guide.
- Guided visit of Chachabamba, Wiñaywayna, and Choquesuysuy
- Guided tour of Machu Picchu on the second Day
- 1 Box Lunch, 1 Dinner, 1 Breakfast
- Hotel Accommodation in Aguas Calientes (Private room).
- Bus trip (Aguas Calientes-Machu Picchu)
- Expedition train return to Ollantaytambo (can be upgraded) transport to Cusco
- Last Way back bus from Machu Picchu to Aguas Calientes (US$12)
- Hiking poles
- Extra expenses
- Personal porter, to carry personal items from our clients (up to 15 kg).
- Last Lunch, Last Dinner
- Tips recommended
From US$ 520